[afnog] Fwd: Barry Rhodes

Diarmuid O Briain diarmuid at obriain.com
Mon Sep 24 08:44:39 UTC 2018

All,

Barry Rhodes the CEO of INEX in Ireland just passed away. Barry was a
greater leader among the IXP community in Europe and was instrumental in
pushing great projects like IXP Manager. Rest in Peace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

INEX members,

Unfortunately, I have some very sad news to share with the
INEX community this evening. Following a brief period of illness,
Barry Rhodes passed away this afternoon.

Barry radiated a gravitas that naturally won peoples' confidence and
respect. His ease at being equal to everyone, regardless of
their position, is what leaves us all mourning a good friend. He was a
true gentleman, and his kindness and courtesy will always remain with us.

Many organisations come to critical points in their development
and without strong and determined leadership, they never reach
their potential. With INEX, Barry Rhodes joined us 15 years ago as Chief
Executive at one such point. Through his expertise, natural charisma,
and ability to lead, he developed INEX into the globally known and
respected IXP that it is today. We owe him a debt of gratitude for his
work in achieving that.

The greatest grief at this time is his wife Sandy’s, whom many in
the community have met and have heard Barry speak of so often. We
have offered all our care and support in recent days and will continue
to extend whatever support we can. Barry is also survived by his two
sons, daughters-in-law and very much loved grandchildren.

Our sympathies also to those among the INEX community who were
good friends of Barry’s, and I know there are many around the world.

We will pass on arrangements and details for those who wish to
send their sympathies. We were richer for Barry’s presence and are
certainly poorer in his passing. May he rest in peace.

On behalf of the Committee and staff of INEX,

Colin Dalton
Chairperson