[afnog] Registration for Pilot Open Internet Standards Course for Lecturers

Betel Hailu hailu at isoc.org
Fri Nov 29 14:28:55 UTC 2019

Hi all-

We are happy to inform you about the following opportunity for students and professors in African Universities. ISOC is piloting an online seminar on IETF topics aimed at undergraduate and graduate programs in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related fields. The seminar is intended to be embedded in existing courses in African Universities so that it enriches the existing university programs.

This will hopefully be the first of many seminars around IETF and open standards topics. We strongly believe that Computer Scientists and Engineers entering the job market would benefit from more understanding of open Internet Standards and how work at organizations like the IETF, IEEE and W3C affects the products and solutions that they will need to integrate or deploy in the workplace.

The seminar will be presented by Dr. Daniel Migault and will mainly cover IPSEC. We tentatively expect the seminar to be presented online using Zoom platform in two 1-hour sessions around mid-January 2020. We also expect that there will be practical assignments for students to implement to test their understandings of the seminar.  Lecturers/professors and students will need to have good access to the Internet. The seminars will begin with registration of lecturers/professors first then extend to students to be supervised by the registered lecturers/professors at a later date.

If you are a lecturer/professor in an African University of a Computer Security, a Computer Science or any other course that can benefit from a seminar on IPSec and you are interested to allow your students to follow the seminars as part of your course, please sign up here: https://internetsociety.wufoo.com/forms/wzud5ce0z202yq/ so that we invite you to the introduction call where the program coordinators will detail the program.

Do not hesitate to forward this message to other professors who might be interested by this opportunity.

The deadline to register is the 8th of December 2019 and space is limited.

There is a small honorarium for participating Professors and a small prize for the winning assignment.

For any clarifications please email Dawit Bekele (bekele at isoc.org) or Kevin Chege (chege at isoc.org).

Thank you,

Betel Hailu | Communications Coordinator – Africa Regional Bureau | Internet Society

skype: betty.hailu | www.InternetSociety.org |

Follow Us