[afnog] XLAT646 deployment

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Sun Jul 4 11:14:13 UTC 2021

On 4 Jul 2021, at 12:32, Paul Simon wrote:

> Hello good folks,
> I am doing a research on XLAT646 deployment, currently considering
> this as a solution to v4 depletion.
> I am therefore wondering if there is anyone who has had success in
> deploying this technology in production. I am mostly interested in
> what vendor they used and how the customer side translation was
> happening whether it was on customer CE or some aggregate node in the
> access network.
> Any inputs will be appreciated, thanks!

hi paul,

i’m not sure that this is widely deployed in africa yet, but there are
several good reference stories for how this was done elsewhere.  look
for case studies and presentations at NOGs for mobile in the US and in
india.  at safnog-1 [1], cameron did a presentation on their experiences
at t-mobile;  this might be a useful starting point for you;  just
remember that this is ~7years old ;-)   the direct link is available at:
   https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzzThJyfhvwdU2hiZmIzX25XX0k/edit?resourcekey=0-UQsVrfwYNofaAj5cUC4RiQ

i’ve only seen one decent (non-mobile) CPE from NEC.  unfortunately,
the NEC folk don’t seem interested in distributing this;  at least in
ZA.  i’d be curious to see what CPE list you come up with (for
non-mobile).

good luck, and please let us know what you end up doing!  :-)
-n.

[1]
http://www.safnog.org/safnog1/meetings-past/2014/agenda-2014-safnog-1.html