[afnog] XLAT646 deployment

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Sun Jul 4 12:32:51 UTC 2021

On 4 Jul 2021, at 13:57, Paul Simon wrote:

> Hi Nishal

hi,

> Mark had pointed out support isn't that great, at least since last he
> checked, outside Windows, iOS and Android.

that’s probably 98% of the mobile space though, right?  :-)

> But come to think about it, non of these solutions would be ideal for
> the network I'm looking to deploy this on.
> Mostly our last-miles are point-to-point fiber or FTTx so it is great
> that you mention non-mobile CPE. Do you have any more info about the
> ZEC offering perhaps the product model so I look it up.

the model that i was asking them about (a few years ago) is likely to be
pretty dated now, but you can use this as a starting point:  NEC
AccessTechnica CL-AT1000P.

realistically, for FTTx, if you own the client’s CPE (an arguably good
position to be in for a lot of reasons) then this is a fantastic
opportunity for you to deploy something intelligent at the edge that is
not rife with security bugs, and has intelligent support for $service
you want (in the place that you need/want it - at the edge of your
network).  in my home country, the emerging FTTx networks are in a race
to the bottom to provide the cheapest (and worst) CPEs for FTTx type
solutions because..short-term profit > long-term support and/or
stability.  i hope things are different for you.

the CPE i’ve recommended to friends and family for quite a while now
has been: https://www.turris.com/en/omnia/overview/  which is openwrt
based, and should have 464xlat support.
adminttedly, at retail prices, this is about 2.5x more than the cheapie,
piece-of-cr*p from tp-**** / t**da / similar.  i don’t really run a
network anymore, so i’ve not tried to negotiate bulk discounts.

a direct, point-to-point service (presumably to an enterprise/business)
should be easier.

-n.