[afnog] XLAT646 deployment

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Sun Jul 4 12:38:42 UTC 2021

On 7/4/21 14:32, Nishal Goburdhan wrote:

> the model that i was asking them about (a few years ago) is likely to
> be pretty dated now, but you can use this as a starting point: NEC
> AccessTechnica CL-AT1000P.
>
> realistically, for FTTx, if you own the client’s CPE (an arguably good
> position to be in for a lot of reasons) then this is a fantastic
> opportunity for you to deploy something intelligent at the edge that
> is not rife with security bugs, and has intelligent support for
> $service you want (in the place that you need/want it - at the edge of
> your network).  in my home country, the emerging FTTx networks are in
> a race to the bottom to provide the cheapest (and worst) CPEs for FTTx
> type solutions because..short-term profit > long-term support and/or
> stability.  i hope things are different for you.
>
> the CPE i’ve recommended to friends and family for quite a while now
> has been: https://www.turris.com/en/omnia/overview/  which is openwrt
> based, and should have 464xlat support.
> adminttedly, at retail prices, this is about 2.5x more than the
> cheapie, piece-of-cr*p from tp-**** / t**da / similar.  i don’t really
> run a network anymore, so i’ve not tried to negotiate bulk discounts.
>
> a direct, point-to-point service (presumably to an
> enterprise/business) should be easier.

This is a great opportunity for vCPE's. There was big talk about them as
far back as 2011, but they only really became practical around 2017.

For me, I'd likely focus on that if I had to deploy a significantly more
capable CPE in 2021. The problem you have is when some FNO's use Layer 3
for backhaul, in lieu of Layer 2, which can complicate vCPE deployments
for operators who don't own their own Access infrastructure.