[afnog] XLAT646 deployment

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sun Jul 4 21:32:38 UTC 2021

I'm not sure if vCPE have progressed in real deployment in African ISPs, I've the impression that didn't worked in the rest of the world.

It is true that you could have the CLAT in the vCPE VM (I did that many times for testing and training purposes).

The problem I see with vCPEs strategy is that for IPv6 you need to have a switch at the customer premises, able to support layer-3 IPv6 functions, in order to provide /64s in each customer VLAN, SSID, etc., etc. When you mix that with WiFi, it gets more and more complex, so I don't think it is actualy a good think.

Also, in those cases, part of the advantage of the IPv6-only with IPv4aaS (such as 464XLAT) is lost, even if you provide private IPv4 addresses to the customer, because you still ned to have IPv4 support in the last mile WAN link, so not too much sense.

El 4/7/21 14:47, "afnog en nombre de Mark Tinka" <afnog-bounces at afnog.org en nombre de mark at tinka.africa> escribió:

    On 7/4/21 14:32, Nishal Goburdhan wrote:

    > the model that i was asking them about (a few years ago) is likely to
    > be pretty dated now, but you can use this as a starting point: NEC
    > AccessTechnica CL-AT1000P.
    >
    > realistically, for FTTx, if you own the client’s CPE (an arguably good
    > position to be in for a lot of reasons) then this is a fantastic
    > opportunity for you to deploy something intelligent at the edge that
    > is not rife with security bugs, and has intelligent support for
    > $service you want (in the place that you need/want it - at the edge of
    > your network).  in my home country, the emerging FTTx networks are in
    > a race to the bottom to provide the cheapest (and worst) CPEs for FTTx
    > type solutions because..short-term profit > long-term support and/or
    > stability.  i hope things are different for you.
    >
    > the CPE i’ve recommended to friends and family for quite a while now
    > has been: https://www.turris.com/en/omnia/overview/  which is openwrt
    > based, and should have 464xlat support.
    > adminttedly, at retail prices, this is about 2.5x more than the
    > cheapie, piece-of-cr*p from tp-**** / t**da / similar.  i don’t really
    > run a network anymore, so i’ve not tried to negotiate bulk discounts.
    >
    > a direct, point-to-point service (presumably to an
    > enterprise/business) should be easier.

    This is a great opportunity for vCPE's. There was big talk about them as
    far back as 2011, but they only really became practical around 2017.

    For me, I'd likely focus on that if I had to deploy a significantly more
    capable CPE in 2021. The problem you have is when some FNO's use Layer 3
    for backhaul, in lieu of Layer 2, which can complicate vCPE deployments
    for operators who don't own their own Access infrastructure.