[afnog] XLAT646 deployment

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Mon Jul 5 06:57:09 UTC 2021

On 7/4/21 23:32, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> The problem I see with vCPEs strategy is that for IPv6 you need to have a switch at the customer premises, able to support layer-3 IPv6 functions, in order to provide /64s in each customer VLAN, SSID, etc., etc. When you mix that with WiFi, it gets more and more complex, so I don't think it is actualy a good think.

Most customers aren't going to be running more than one Layer 2
broadcast domain at their homes. Those that would would be running their
own CPE anyway, and are far more likely to be IPv6-aware.

You can run SLAAC on the vCPE. You don't need a router at the customer
site, just a Layer 2 hand-off into the Access network.

You or the customer can add wi-fi AP's that just form part of the home
network. They'll bridge between the customer's devices and the vCPE.