[afnog] XLAT646 deployment

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Jul 5 07:10:08 UTC 2021

The problem is if you want to have multiple SSIDs, for example for the kids, guest, etc. you also need one /64 for each one.

I see more and more often the need to multiple subnets in every subscriber and IPv6, home automation, IoT, etc., etc., definitively increase that.

El 5/7/21 8:57, "Mark Tinka" <mark at tinka.africa> escribió:

    On 7/4/21 23:32, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
    > The problem I see with vCPEs strategy is that for IPv6 you need to have a switch at the customer premises, able to support layer-3 IPv6 functions, in order to provide /64s in each customer VLAN, SSID, etc., etc. When you mix that with WiFi, it gets more and more complex, so I don't think it is actualy a good think.

    Most customers aren't going to be running more than one Layer 2
    broadcast domain at their homes. Those that would would be running their
    own CPE anyway, and are far more likely to be IPv6-aware.

    You can run SLAAC on the vCPE. You don't need a router at the customer
    site, just a Layer 2 hand-off into the Access network.

    You or the customer can add wi-fi AP's that just form part of the home
    network. They'll bridge between the customer's devices and the vCPE.

IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?
http://www.theipv6company.com
The IPv6 Company