[afnog] XLAT646 deployment

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Mon Jul 5 08:55:53 UTC 2021

On 7/5/21 10:30, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

> The idea is not those customers do that ... it is that using HNCP, for example, it happens "magically". Having your own CPE, having control on the firmware, allows you to deploy those new features when needed. Allows you to offer additional value-added services to the customers, etc. All that it is easily enabled with IPv6, not with IPv4.
>
> Having different kinds of devices in different SSIDs/VLANs can also be automated and provides more security if those devices are using cloud/IoT services, etc.

Yes, the spec. has been around since 2016.

I still can't get IPv6 on the PS4 and it seems my investment in a 3D
home TV is still waiting for the right year to kick off :-).

Equipment and software vendors were of similar mind when it came to
UPnP. Ever since then, they seem to relegate cool RFC's to the library.

I'll hold my breath, though...

> Those CPEs also allo you to have an LTE interface (or USB stick). This is the way un NA and EU broadban is deployed in remote areas where DSL, GPON, etc., can't reach.

Same here (which is what we tend to call fixed wireless - LTE or MiFi
routers). B

ut again, mobile phones lead the way, in Africa.