[afnog] XLAT646 deployment

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Jul 5 09:04:30 UTC 2021

I've a similar setup to control also my heating/DHW,  and electricity ... replaced myself most of the electric wiring, and devices in the electricity distribution panel, so they have WiFi and can measure consumption, etc.

In addition to that, 2 years ago deployed 6Kw solar, and made my own LFP 80Kw battery (90x3,2V cells and a Batrium BMS  https://twitter.com/jordipalet/status/1389193991716020227) ... next step, summer job, is to add 1Kw PVs, replace my 20 years-old gas heating/DHW with an aerotherm system (government is funding 45% of the cost), so I can take more advantage of my own electricity. I "sell" the excess to the electric company, but the Spanish law compensation system is not good, is monthly basis, so I've excess electricity 8-9 months per year that I never get paid for and 3 months that I pay some electricity + the gas bill. Now I will change that.

My previous monthly electricity bill was 120 euros, now is below 12 euros ... My yearly gas bill was around 500-600 euros, will turn into 0 and will increase something like 20-30 euros the electricity bill for 2-3 months when we have not sufficient sun.

All that is controlled by self-developed monitoring with Influx/Telegram/Grafana ... and now I'm working in an interface between the different electric meters (in the WiFi MCBs and MCBOs), so I can tell the aerotherm to "slow-down" for some minutes when there is an excess of energy demand in the house, for example when I turn on the oven ... so to avoid asking the inverter more than continuous 5-6 Kw which may trigger a security disconnect or even trigger the electricity company switch, etc. (my contract was 4.6 Kw, now only 1Kw with the electricity company during the day, 3Kw in the night - in case there is no sufficient sun, so I can recharge battery at the lower energy price).

El 5/7/21 10:02, "Mark Tinka" <mark at tinka.africa> escribió:

    On 7/5/21 09:46, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

    > My home is different ... clearly ... I just deployed 10G dual MM fiber links thru different paths among several floors and have over 300 VLANs, several APs, hundreds of devices (including all kind of IoT sensors and actuators), etc. It is a complete "lab".
    >
    > I understand that in many regions, this is not yet common, but it will come, as it is happening already in Europe, NA and some AP countries.

    It is happening here, if you are Nishal, Mark, Andrew, Edrich, Edward,
    Ben, e.t.c. But just like you, Randy, Philip, Job, Owen, e.t.c., we are
    not representative of the wider demographic in any of our regions. I can
    tell you, exactly, just how much electricity every circuit breaker in my
    house is currently using on a per-second basis; I don't ever expect that
    to become the norm at scale.

    Having a ton of devices and sensors in the home does not automatically
    mean that they would be connected on separate VLAN's. This goes for all
    regions in the world.

    It is very likely that any new CPE's being deployed will have the
    capability of supporting multiple VLAN's, and if it all goes to plan,
    even a CLAT. But that doesn't mean that the customers will actually know
    about all that, or even care enough to figure out how to enable it.

    All this stuff is great, but we need to remember how simple users
    approach the problem. They just want things to work, and can't be asked
    to deal with all the fuss. That's our problem.

    > If the African ISPs take advantage of choosing a good CPE *now* which is almost the same price, they are making their investment "more" future proof, specially if that means saving IPv4 addresses and using that money for deploying IPv6 with better CPEs.

    You need to remember that in Africa, the majority of users that access
    the Internet do so on or through their mobile phone. Fixed line services
    are on the rise, but they pale in comparison to mobile-based connectivity.

IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?
http://www.theipv6company.com
The IPv6 Company