[afnog] Another Perspective - Kentik's View on the Facebook Outage

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu Oct 7 15:19:13 UTC 2021

On 10/7/21 16:03, S Moonesamy wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
> At 04:33 AM 07-10-2021, Markus Akena Wipfler wrote:
>>

>> On technical level such mistake is unacceptable when each 1 hour of
>> downtime costs about 1 billi USD...
>
> It could be listed under: "if our products are unavailable when users
> attempt to access them, or if they do not load as quickly as expected,
> users may not use our products as often in the future, or at all, and
> our ability to serve ads may be disrupted".

In relative terms, that kind of sustained hourly loss can be written off
as not-even a rounding error, when you have such an operation.

That said, when you aren't paying or a service (as a direct eyeball -
despite what you are told about "being the product"), then be ready to
accept the risk of that situation.