RE: Money Matters Re: The AfriNIC Business Plan V.0

I have to agree with Brian on the funding issue. We are not creating AfriNIC
for political reasons - "We're as good as you, so we can have our own
Registry". We're creating it primarily because we need something that is
APPROPRIATE to AFRICAN needs. These needs are primarily the following: -

1	Smaller allocations of IP addresses
2	Lower costs

Both of these derive from the fact that all African ISPs operate in a low
margin, high cost, third world environment and are consequently much smaller
that US or European ISPs.

Brian has given a good list of donors. I have spoken to some of them, and
they are certainly willing to assist. We will, however, have to provide them
with a proper Funding Proposal, which of course means that we have to
complete a proper Business Plan, as that will form part of the Proposal.

To add to the list of potential donors: The South African Department of
Communications has, in conversation with myself and others, indicated their
probable willingness to: -

1	Host the RIR in SA
2	Fund the entire local operating cost.

The costs that Brian has proposed are significantly lower than RIPE and
ARIN, which is good. My personal preference is that they should be lower
still - half that, if at all possible ;-)

We are addressing two markets: -

A	African ISPs that don't yet have IP or ASN allocations from either ARIN or
RIPE, primarily because they're too small to be able to afford either the
fees or justify the IP space
B	Existing larger African ISPs that do have existing allocations. In order
to induce them to change, we have to offer a significant incentive.
Renumbering networks is a VERY expensive activity, and even for new
allocations they WILL perceive a risk that AfriNIC will work, and keep on
working reliably.

Speaking of which, it appears that ARIN is currently down!

Regards,

William Stucke
ZAnet Internet Services (Pty) Ltd
mailto:William at zanet.co.za