Re: IXP hardware

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 06:24:37PM -0800, Barry Raveendran Greene wrote:
> Note 1 - all three of these IXP models are _layer 2_ IXPs (usually using
> some form of ethernet).
>
> Note 2 - all three of these IXPs models require the ISP to get an AS number,
> bring their own router to the IXP, get their own connection to the IXP, and
> most likely join a RIR to get their own IP allocations.
>
> Note 3 - all three of these IXP models work and scale.
>
> Note 4 - engineering preference plays the big factor into which model a
> specific IXP uses.

Note 5 - you can mix'n'match at the same IXP. If an IXP provides a route
server or a route reflector, nobody is forced to use it - they can set up
bilaterial peering directly if they prefer.

I don't actually understand the difference between the "route reflector" and
"route server" models, unless it is merely one of implementation (i.e. a
choice of a Cisco box running IOS or a Unix box running gated) in which case
they are essentially the same.

And if I don't understand the difference, then I'm going to ignore it and
set up bilateral peering :-)

The trouble with any central route distribution device is that it must be
competently managed, and accurately implement the desired route distribution
policies of all the participants. If it doesn't, then it won't get used.

As for use of external funding - using it to fit out a room, install
cabinets and UPS, office furniture/admin PCs etc seems to be entirely sound.

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org