Re: Masquerading IPSec connections on FreeBSD?

Hi Brian,
On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 01:42, Brian Candler wrote:

> Well, FreeBSD can do masquerading (NAT) and it also has reliable IPSEC
> support in the kernel. I've used both in anger.
>
> IMO the problems you are likely to come across are:
>
> 1. mixing masquerading and IPSEC on the same box; and
> 2. if you are interoperating with Windows IPSEC clients, getting key
> exchange and client authentication to work.
<snip>
Thanks for that, I will need it for yet another installation that had
baffled be :-(...

Anyhow, in this case, what I am trying to set up is a gateway/firewall
that I can use (even say on the machine which does masquerading for my
dial up clients) so that I do not need to know about the remote IPSEC
servers... but just allow tunnels to be set up by the windows (or other)
IPSEC client THROUGH my firewall/gateway and finally to whatever IPSEC
server their client communicates with. The set up of what I would want
is somewhat like this.

	windows IPSEC client(By Galileo)
	(private ip address)		  <=======
		||				||
		||				||
	Un*x Gateway/Firewall			||
	(clients global IP address)		|| tunnel is set up
		||				|| seamlessly between
		||				|| these two machines
		||				|| just as if the win
	     INTERNET				|| machine had a global
		||				|| ip address.
		||				||
	Remote IPSEC server (Galileo software)<===
	(Global IP address)

So, the problem I was having is that on linux, this setup would not work
for the IPSEC client - which would claim that the remote server is not
replying... (since its packets were being dropped). The question is, how
do I get FreeBSD to work as the Firewall - AND correctly pass the IPSEC
packets... unless I misunderstood your reply...

Is this possible or am I just dreaming? :-)

Patrick
--
Patrick J Okui
Systems Administrator