Re: Blocking MSN Messanger ports

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 10:42:18AM +0300, Begumisa Gerald M. wrote:
> MSN messenger (windows version) is able to use port 80 if necessary (for
> example if port 1863 has been blocked by a firewall).  So far the
> solutions I've seen are:
>
> o Denying access to gateway.messenger.hotmail.com at your firewall

IMO, the trouble with all this is you are trying to provide a _technical_
solution to a _policy_ problem.

What is the underlying problem that you are trying to solve, i.e. why are
you trying to stop people using this particular IP service? There is
probably a better solution. I don't know what the problem is with it, so I
can't offer any alternatives.

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org