Re: Mail Server Problem

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 09:52:31AM -0000, M. K. Agbessitse wrote:
>    /dev/dsk/c0t9d0s7    17413250 13392517 3846601    78%    /home

Another possibility is that you have run out of inodes, or of unfragmented
blocks.

Try this:

# fstyp -v /dev/dsk/c0t9d0s7 | head -20
and look for "nbfree" (whole 8K blocks), "nffree" (fragments), and "nifree"
(inodes)

If nbfree is zero then you will be unable to create any large (>8K) files,
even though there is enough space available in fragments.

If nifree is zero then you will be unable to create any files, period.

I have found this to be a problem in the past on Sun UFS filesystems where
lots of small files are created - and Maildirs may well suffer the same
problem.

>    Please, I would also like to know this. If I use a vi editor to open a
>    file
>    and the message I got after the file is opened is that  "Line too
>    long".
>    Does that mean that the file is corrupted? If yes what do I do to
>    rectify this
>    file?

What sort of file is it? If it's a plain text file, you would not expect it
to have a very long line, so it may be corrupt. If it's a binary file (an
executable program, for example) then you should not be editing it in 'vi'

You are probably running an ancient version of 'vi' which comes with SunOS.
Try installing a more modern replacement (such as 'vim')

If you are not happy compiling such a program from scratch, then you could
try some of the pre-compiled Solaris packages available from
ftp.sunfreeware.com or its many mirrors - I use ftp.tiscali.nl

For example under /pub/mirrors/sunfreeware/sparc/8 I find:
-rw-r--r--   1 ftp      ftp       1356588 Nov  1  1999 vim-5.4-sol8-sparc-local.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 ftp      ftp       1549663 Oct  3  2000 vim-5.7-sol8-sparc-local.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 ftp      ftp       1655269 Jul  2  2001 vim-5.8-sol8-sparc-local.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 ftp      ftp       2318823 Sep 30  2001 vim-6.0-sol8-sparc-local.gz

You may then need to update your path so that /usr/local/bin/vi takes
precedence over /usr/bin/vi, or rename the old vi to something else.

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org