Re: DNS checker at squish.net

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 04:51:31PM +0300, Kabagambe Kenneth wrote:
> The delegation of computerpoint.co.ug as a name server for the eahd.or.ug
> was removed so what you have got were cached records.

It's not 'cached' in the sense of DNS caches, but it looks like a secondary
has not updated its zonefile yet.

The exact problem is here:

(1) ug is delegated to demon.mnt.co.ug
(2) demon.mtn.co.ug gives an authoritative referral to computerpoint.co.ug

You can demonstrate this for yourself:

(1) dig +norec  at a.root-servers.net. wawa.eahd.or.ug. a
(2) dig +norec  at demon.mtn.co.ug. wawa.eahd.or.ug. a
;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
eahd.or.ug.             4H IN NS        spice.eahd.or.ug.
eahd.or.ug.             4H IN NS        computerpoint.co.ug.
eahd.or.ug.             4H IN NS        ns.sanyutel.com.
eahd.or.ug.             4H IN NS        wawa.eahd.or.ug.

However, the primary for ug. gives an answer without computerpoint:

$ dig +norec  at web.eahd.or.ug. wawa.eahd.or.ug. a
;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
eahd.or.ug.             4H IN NS        wawa.eahd.or.ug.
eahd.or.ug.             4H IN NS        spice.eahd.or.ug.
eahd.or.ug.             4H IN NS        ns.sanyutel.com.

and the zone serial numbers are different, so if the change was made very
recently then we're just waiting for demon.mtn.co.ug to catch up and copy
the zone file. There is a one-day refresh time on the zone.

Anyway, I still think this demonstrates how useful a tool this is :-) Check
it again tomorrow to make sure the problem is resolved.

Regards,

Brian.

$ dig +norec  at web.eahd.or.ug. ug. soa
ug.                     4H IN SOA       web.eahd.or.ug. ksemat.eahd.or.ug. (
                                        2003010317      ; serial
                                        1D              ; refresh
$ dig +norec  at demon.mtn.co.ug. ug. soa
;; ANSWER SECTION:
ug.                     4H IN SOA       web.eahd.or.ug. ksemat.eahd.or.ug. (
                                        2003010218      ; serial
                                        1D              ; refresh

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org