Re: how??

On Thu 2003-02-13 (14:26), Martin MBAYI wrote:
> Under windows os, there is a program hyperterminal for
> configuring routers or switches with console mode; so
> how to do the  same under linux and freeBSD ?
> I need your help

Hi Martin,

For FreeBSD, I recommend the program 'cu' which comes with the base
operating system.  If your serial port is "COM1" in Windows, it is
/dev/cuaa0 on FreeBSD - "COM2" is /dev/cuaa1, and so forth.

To use, it's just:

cu -l /dev/cuaa0

Sometimes, you need to set the speed, which you can do with the '-s'
option:

cu -l /dev/cuaa0 -s 9600

To quit, type "~." (same as ssh), and to send the break signal, "~#".
"~?" gives you some help.

More options are in the manual page.

One thing, if you're using it through ssh, you shouldn't use "~."
directly.  First, press "~", and then press "~.".  This is because "~."
is also a way to quit ssh.

Other options are 'minicom' and 'kermit'.  Linux systems should have
basically the same options.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner