Re: how??

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 02:34:55PM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 02:26:11PM +0100,
>  Martin MBAYI <martinmbayi at yahoo.fr> wrote
>  a message of 21 lines which said:
>
> > Under windows os, there is a program hyperterminal for
> > configuring routers or switches with console mode; so
> > how to do the  same under linux and freeBSD ?
>
> I like and use minicom (and I switch to telnet or, better SSH, once
> the minimum is done on the router).

A couple of other options:

(1)   tip com1

This gets its settings from /etc/remote, in this case

    com1:dv=/dev/cuaa0:br#9600:pa=none:

So in order to change the bit rate you have to edit this file.

(2)   cu -l cuaa0 -s 9600

'cu' is part of uucp (which incidentally is dropped from the base install in
FreeBSD 5.0, but available as a separate package).

Under FreeBSD this program is installed setuid. Older versions had the
permissions set wrongly, so you had to do

    chown uucp /dev/cuaa0

to make it work (because even if you are root, your userid is set to 'uucp'
when running it). Under FreeBSD 4.7 they seem to have got it right:

$ ls -l /dev/cuaa0
crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer   28, 128 Oct 15 17:43 /dev/cuaa0
$ ls -l /usr/bin/cu
-r-sr-sr-x  1 uucp  dialer  122904 Oct  9 13:44 /usr/bin/cu

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org