Re: your mail

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 02:15:13PM +0000, Mensah Komla Agbessitse wrote:
> 1- How do I use the same settings using unix box(linux), exim and
> courierimap? Mainly the configuration of exim and how accounts is created
> in this case would be a great value for me.(Is it going to domains vs
> username authentication or what and how accounts could be created?

The Exim worksheet from Philip Hazel's presentation at Afnog last year has
some examples of exim4, including virtual domains:
http://www.ws.afnog.org/afnog2002/track1/exim/index.htm
(in particular, see 'exim practical exercises')

My notes on Courier-imap are here:
http://www.ws.afnog.org/afnog2002/track1/pop3/index.htm

I did have some more comprehensive config examples from the previous year,
but they have not been updated to exim 4 I'm afraid.

> 2- How can I export the database of the users and mail(if possible) from
> WindowsNT to unix enviroment.

Getting the users out from NT I have no idea.

However, pulling the mail across is relatively easy, as long as you have the
usernames and passwords available. You can run 'fetchmail' for each account,
which makes a POP3 connection to the target machine, and an SMTP connection
to your local mailserver - you'll have to run it once for each mailbox of
course.

Alternatively, if you are using Maildirs on your target system, I wrote a
program called 'maildirfetch' which retrieves mail via POP3 and drops it
directly into a local Maildir. I can post it if anyone's interested.

If you really cannot get your passwords out of the NT system, as a last
resort you could put a POP3 proxy between your users and the NT server, and
configure it to log POP3 usernames/passwords as they connect. Some
possibilities are
   http://www.i2pi.com/smunge/
   http://www.vergenet.net/linux/perdition/

(I don't know if they have that logging functionality; if not it could be
easily added). Or you could even use one of the tcp sniffing tools which we
use at Afnog for capturing people's unencrypted passwords :-) Either way
you'll need to leave it running for a few weeks or months to collect all the
active users - anyone who you've not captured in that period, just reset
their password to something else and wait for them to phone up and complain.

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org