RE: linux netconf problem and /28 & /27 ip route setup

Okay, you have been assigned 64.110.88.0/25. This means you have from .1 - .126 as valid hosts for this number of host bits.

You say you want to start with a /28. That will be from .1 - .14 of valid hosts. Remember, .0 is your subnet ID, and .15 is your broadcast IP. These can't be assigned to any host.

So, on your router, I would suggest using ISL [Inter-Switch Link] or 802.1Q VLAN trunking, so you can have sub-interfaces on your router ethernet interfaces. However, for this to work, you need a 10/100Mbps switch, and fast ethernet [10/100Mbps] ethernet interfaces on your router. If you are using Cisco switches, then you must have at least the 2900 or 2900XL switch. This is the Cisco entry-level switch that supports fast ethernet, and thus, ISL or 802.1Q.

If you don't have these, stick with something simple, like secondary IP addressing. You may research on ISL or 802.1Q VLAN trunking later.

Go to your router's ethernet interface and assign 64.110.88.1 of your network to it. Netmask is 255.255.255.240. This covers the first /28 you have subnetted. Then assign from .2 up to .14 to your hosts, including your servers and Linux gateway box. Remember to use the right netmask and .1 as your gateway for them. Ensure that this interfaces is on the same network segment as your other servers, LAN boxes and Linux gateway.

For Linux, if your masquerading with IPChains, there's a very simple utility that can install itself with minimal intervention. It will detect your IP addresses and provide NAT services for your automatically. Go to www.pointman.org and download PMFirewall. This should get you started before you try to get more complex.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Mark Tinka - CCNA
Network Engineer