RE: Kernel patching

Well, typically your distro's website should have the update package, in
both RPM and Source RPM format.

If you download the RPM, a simple "rpm -Fvh kernel-package-name.rpm" or
"rpm -Uvh kernel-package-name.rpm" should do just fine. You can then rerun
LILO to update your kernel configuration - /sbin/lilo

If you download the Source RPM, you can install it with the command:

rpm -ivh kernel-package-name.src.rpm

This installs the source files typically located in /usr/src/linux/. You can
then use the normal kernel build commands to compile your kernel:

make menuconfig; make depend; make bzImage; make modules; make
modules_install

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark Tinka - CCNA