RE: Removal of IP

::-----Original Message-----
::From: Brian Candler [mailto:B.Candler at pobox.com]
::Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 11:29 AM
::To: Sunday Folayan
::Cc: afnog at afnog.org
::Subject: Re: Removal of IP
::
::On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:40:26AM +0100, Sunday Folayan wrote:
::> They spam using http not smtp. smtp is blocked, but you
::cannot do that
::> for http. They don't send one, they have programs that send
::thousands
::> within an hour, just changing recipient addresses.
::
::ISTM that the fundamental problem is: if someone comes to you
::(maybe the
::police) and asks "who was using IP address X at time Y" it
::seems you have no way to bind the identity of the individual
::to that IP address.
::
::I'm not a user of cybercafes, but I've never seen one where
::you can plug in your own laptop, pay cash, and then vanish
::without trace.
::

Not necessarily that people bring and plug in their laptops in the
cybercafes, pay cash and just vanish, no but they even more often times
use the cybercafe PCs. But you don't get to know who exactly used which
system when u have quite a number nor get to know what exactly he's
doing on a system and more importantly when everything goes through a
proxy or some NAT. Most cafes here are not membership driven cafes but
just like a 'bus stop' for internet access ;-)

		-fiao

::It would seem to me a reasonable policy that cybercafes
::should require identification from customers who plug in
::their own laptops. For example, you could bring in your
::identity documents the first time, and then be issued with a
::'membership card'. If you want to browse the web without
::becoming a member then you have to use one of the cybercafe's
::own computers (which are suitably locked-down to stop you
::installing your own software)
::
::Perhaps a similar situation is a video/DVD rental shop, where
::you have to become a member before you can hire videos.
::
::Regards,
::
::Brian.
::
::-----
::This is the afnog mailing list, managed by Majordomo 1.94.5
::
::To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org
::To send a request to majordomo, e-mail majordomo at afnog.org
::and put your request in the body of the message (i.e use
::"help" for help)
::
::This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org
::