RE: Tanzanian ISPs move closer to establishing an Internet exchange

Makes sense to me. 2Mbps in the US or UK can be got for slightly under
$1,800, or even less. In Africa, that's what it costs an end user to
purchase a 128Kbps circuit. So, yes, we are definitely not profiting from
it, and the satellite companies are.

Recently, a potential client hoped he'd pay only the equivalent of 80
British pounds for a 512Kbps link to the Internet. I bet NTL gave him a
really good deal.

My feeling is satellite and IP service providers could have charged less
money for their service, and still made a lot of money off their African
clientele, but because earlier service providers have charged exorbitant
amounts of money, which has seemed and been acceptable to the African ISP,
they see no problem coming in with the same price structure.

I even lost count on the number of satellite companies from all parts of the
world offering me service. I wonder how long it takes them to search the web
for my name and e-mail address.

Regards,

Mark Tinka - CCNA
Network Engineer