Re: How setup and configued ssh and telnet access is Linnx 7.2

Paul

i think by default the ssh daemon should be running you can cross check
that by doing an lsof -i:22 (if you have lsof) or do a normal telnet to
port 22 , next what you can do is allow that users IP to connect to port 22

look below if you use IPCHAINS if not please go to google and have a look
at some iptables commands to allow ssh connections.

[snip]

#SSH
$IPCHAINS -A input -p tcp -s xx.xx.xx.xx -d $OUTERNET 22 -j ACCEPT

[/snip]

xx== your friends ip address

this user will need a /bin/bash shell so that they dont get thrown off when
they try to log onto your box , you can issue a useradd with a -s /bin/bash
if your system doesnt assign a "bash" shell by default. Basically the most
important to setup is the firewall setting and shell for the user. Paul
what mail problem do you have maybe we could help you with that too so that
you can learn how to setup a mailserver without anyones assistance :). Why
do you need to give telnet access also am sure ssh access will be good
enough. This is just the basic setup, you can look into other security
features for ssh access when you get the hang of using the tools that you
have on you Redhat box. I stand to be corrected on this.
Before i forget you might also want to give this user sudo rights because
am sure if he/she is going to do some work on your mailserver he/she might
need root rights or you could always give them your "root" passwd if you
REALLY trust them :).

cheers

Ziggy