[afnog] Re: Exim Problem

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 12:54:19PM -0700, Niran Bello wrote:
> 1.my mail server is myname.mydomain.com and have users
> created on this domain, ;let say user1, user2 and
> user3. I can send the mail to each user before llike
> from user1 at mydomain.com to user2 at mydomain.com with no
> problem. Now if i send it will the receiver will not
> receive any mail. When I check main log i got this
>
> 003-07-30 14:09:10 19hq9T-0000Ip-Uj Message is frozen
> 2003-07-30 14:09:10 19hp73-0000BN-Dm Message is frozen
>
> 2003-07-30 14:09:10 19hn43-00007Y-EV Message is frozen
>
> 2003-07-30 14:09:10 19hptD-0000GO-Ff Message is frozen
>
> 2003-07-30 14:09:10 19hqJg-0000K3-5c Message is frozen
>
> 2003-07-30 14:09:10 19hqMX-0000Kw-6L Message is frozen

Try testing like this:
# exim -d user1 at mydomain.com
<type a message here>
.

This will show you the entire routing and delivery decision making process,
and show you why the messages are frozen.

To retry delivery one of those queued messages:

# exim -d -M 19hqJg-0000K3-5c

> 2003-07-30 14:09:10 End queue run: pid=1431
> 2003-07-31 11:12:41 19iAQL-00002k-C2 <=
> root at niran.mclng.com U=root P=local S=71
>                                                7
> 2003-07-31 11:12:41 19iAQL-00002k-C2 User 0 set for
> local_delivery transport is
>                                    on the never_users
> list
> 2003-07-31 11:12:41 19iAQL-00002k-C2 ==
> root at niran.mclng.com R=localuser T=local
>
> _delivery defer (-29): User 0 set for local_delivery
> transport is on the never_u
>                                   sers list

Like I said before, you must set an alias for delivery to 'root'

> On panic log i got this
>
> 2003-07-21 14:36:47 socket bind() to port 25 for
> address (any IPv4) failed: Address already in use:
> daemon abandoned
> 2003-07-21 14:38:22 socket bind() to port 25 for
> address (any IPv4) failed: Address already in use:
> daemon abandoned

You are attempting to run two separate copies of the exim SMTP daemon
(exim -bd). You can't do this. If you need to restart exim then kill the old
daemon before starting a new one.

> 2003-07-31 11:12:41 19iAQL-00002k-C2 User 0 set for
> local_delivery transport is on the never_users list

Same problem: You can't deliver to root.

> 2. This setup I want to use it for internal mail. I
> have this same mydomain.com using for external mail
> hosting for me somewhere. I want to achieve a
> situation that if i send mail to user1 at mydomain.com to
> user2 at mydomain it will remain local and if i send from
> user1 at mydomain.com to some at remotehost.com it will use
> other server.

Right, so the MX records for 'mydomain.com' point to some other system? You
can make this sort of arrangement work, but you have to be careful.

In principle, you just put "mydomain.com" in the local_domains on your
system, then any mail to foo at mydomain.com will be delivered to local user
foo and never leave the system.

However, there are some things to worry about. Firstly, mail from remote
users will arrive on a different machine and therefore perhaps a different
mailbox:

                                               MX for mydomain.com

              +--------------+                   +---------------+
              | local system | ----------------- | remote system |
              +--------------+                   +---------------+
              Mailbox 'foo'                      Mailbox 'foo'
                    ^

             mail sent from
               local users

So, how are you going to deal with this? Maybe all your users will have to
configure two different POP accounts on their clients. Or you will have to
download mail for the whole domain from 'remote system' to 'local system'
periodically, perhaps using UUCP. You could use POP3 for this but it gets
messy because POP3 doesn't preserve the envelope. If the remote system has
separate POP3 mailboxes for each user then you could make a separate POP3
session for each local user, but if you have 50 users and want to pull mail
every 2 minutes then you will be generating a lot of load and traffic for
little benefit.

If you have a permanent Internet connection then the best solution is for
the remote system to forward mail using SMTP. This means that it needs to be
configured with a routing rule (* at mydomain.com forwards to local system).
This is easy to configure, but requires the cooperation of the remote
system administrator.

But in that case, you would be better just to point the MX record directly
at the local system - then mail from the rest of the world will arrive
directly at your server. The remote machine can be configured as backup MX.

Regards,

Brian.