Re: [afnog] Red Hat 8.0 as a router

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Daniel Obuobi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you.
> Yes I am routing packets from multiple hosts through a
> single machine gateway (Red Hat 8.0)at the moment
> until a new Cisco router arrives.
>
> I have set up Linux Proxy at various points with class
> A IPs (10.0.0.x) and behind them I have a set of
> private ips.

i am assuming a 2.4 kernel...

if your public interface is eth0 then the following applies:
your kernel must be configured for network packet filtering, in networking
options.  netfilter configuration, also in networking options, must
include the following:
connection tracking=y
iptables support=m
full nat=m
masquerade target support=m

recompile and test your kernel.

then, somewhere in the boot sequence, after network card initialization,
include the following:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

set the default gateway on your other machines with route add default
gateway $IPOFGATEWAY

ping from client machine.

who needs the cisco;)

Scott