[afnog] RE: mailmonitor

one one wrote:
> maybe we've met in a pub somewhere :)
>
> from my g00gling, i find that opensource alternatives eg
> amavisd+clamav are met with greater acceptance because of the
> availability of the source and the wider supportbase that comes with
> it. taking your suggestion, i am trying mailmonitor now
>
> g00gler

Well, that should be true for mainstream, utility software. But, with
anti-virus scanners, I am not merely talking about the scanner engine - I
also [and mostly] mean the support for updating and providing the latest
virus driver database file[s], as well as dedicated research into software
viruses and anti-virus technology in general.

This sector is very specific, and most times, will require time and money.
The best anti-virus software will come from someone getting paid to peel the
globe for the latest viruses, open them up, and post a solution, not the
anti-virus database developed and supported by someone who has a few hours
each month to spare :-).

However, the scanners [Amavis, e.t.c] are open source, and work pretty much
with a supported virus database [usually commercial].

Regards,

Mark Tinka - CCNP
Network Engineer, Africa Online Uganda

This is the Africa Network Operators' Group(AfNOG)
technical discussion list.
The AfNOG website is: <http://www.afnog.org>