Re: [afnog]Problems with FreeBSD interfaces

it is moreless the software sometimes than irqs, this has been part of
the -STABLE devolopment, if we could get the versions of the cards that
would even be better , the new initialisation code should be able to fix
the watchdog problem, please have a look at the url's below they should
give you a good insight of the patch.

[ xl driver diff old and new ]

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/pci/if_xl.c.diff?r1=1.153&r2=1.154&f=H

[/xl driver]

read to understand what was done

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/pci/if_xl.c

i would probably say upgrade to -STABLE because of the driver upgrades,
i know you say you have fixed the problem ..but i think you should have
a look at this option also

ma 2 shillings :)

cheers

Ziggy

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 09:39, Omachonu Ogali wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 07:26:28PM -0700, David Lubowa wrote:
> > rl driver and chipset  no good , i was once told that the  rl driver was
> > coded badly, so i would not recommend such a NIC as for your xl driver
> > patches in the -STABLE have been sent , please check them out. xl driver
> > had a slight problem
>
> I understand that the Realtek chipset is of lower quality, but two
> different chipsets are involved here, yet producing the same problem,
> and a quick search of the FreeBSD archives shows that the problem is
> most likely shared interrupts, and if that indeed is his problem, he
> can switch network cards/chipsets/drivers all he wants to, but the
> problem will still remain.

This is the Africa Network Operators' Group(AfNOG)
technical discussion list.
The AfNOG website is: <http://www.afnog.org>