[afnog] Flapping POS Interface on Frame-relay between a Juniper and Cisco

Righa Shake righa.shake at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 12:49:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Mark Tinka <mtinka at globaltransit.net>wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 22, 2011 02:43:19 PM Righa Shake wrote:
>
> > I did change and put in ietf this over the weekend and
> > the link has had some stability now.
>
> Good to hear. Strange, but not unusual. Normally, mismatched
> encapsulations would fail a raise of the Layer 2 transport -
> but like I said, strange :-).
>
> > The interface flaps have greatly reduced though they are
> > still there.
>
> How often? Like, how many times in an hour?

At present I have managed to pass the 4 hour threshold.Its still random but
at least in past 24hours the POS has flapped thrice.

> > Am looking at the problem also from SDH level as am also
> > thinking the transport media could be an issue.
>
> If you're dealing with a 3rd party, are they seeing any
> alarms that correspond to the times you see a flap? If it's
> purely an encapsulation issue, then they wouldn't. But if
> it's a problem with the infrastructure provider (which I
> suspect), they should be seeing some alarms or logging some
> donwtime.

I have looked at the transport.the alarms are AIS alarm and RDI alarm.The
ADM equipment on the last flap indicate nothing.

Though I have been getting a flood of 6/6 BGP cease notifications.

Regards,
Righa Shake