[afnog] CFEB issues on juniper

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Feb 7 15:40:27 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, February 07, 2012 09:10:26 PM ibtisam jamal
wrote:

> We had a similar issue on one of the internet routers and
>  the heap utilization would go up and we kept monitoring
> and if it got to around 90% we restarted the router ,as
> trial and error, upgraded to junos 10.4R5 then also
> installed RE-850.
>
> The heap utilization has been at 62% ever since .

62% is a little high, but well below limits I would consider
worrying. Just keep a close eye on it.

> It is not clear what solved the issue because we also
> installed new routers with RE-850 for internet traffic
> only and the routes are as below the only difference is
> the RE is RE-850..

The RE-850 is purely a control and management plane
component. All data plane services are handled by the CFEB,
regardless of which RE is in use.

The reason your other router is fine is because you were
able to reduce its Heap utilization. Once the Heap
utilization becomes excessive, you end up the issues you're
seeing.

What you need to investigate is why the Heap utilization
reduced after a software upgrade + RE swap-out? It could
also have been due to a reboot, or a failure of the software
to delete inactive routes from the FIB prior to the upgrade
(crazier things have been known to happen).

This definitely sounds like one for JTAC.

> We do not have RE-850 now and we do not have CFEB-e .

If you keep holding these many routes in those routers,
sooner or later, you'll need to upgrade these components.

> I have also noticed this could it be a contributor to the
> issue
>
> mpls.0: 124645 destinations, 124645 routes (289 active,
> 124356 holddown, 0 hidden)
> Restart Complete
>                 MPLS:      3 routes,      3 active
>                 RSVP: 124635 routes,    279 active
>                  VPN:      7 routes,      7 active

While your RSVP routing table has more routes than I'd
normally see (are you importing a large portion of inet.0 or
some other heavy routing table into RSVP?), you only have
279 routes actually installed in the FIB, so no major drama.