[afnog] RIPE WHOIS & IRR Database for Out-Of-Region Resources

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Wed Aug 8 08:04:58 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 09:33:14AM +0400, Daniel Shaw wrote:
> > I know that there are also some global operators that are querying the
> > AFRINIC IRR database for filter generation.
> And therefore, operators can also (and often do) query the records via
> RADB. For example:
> % whois -h whois.radb.net 2001:42d0:0:200::6
[...]
> And this also means the tools like 'bgpq3' will "just find" the data by
> default, for example:
> % bgpq3 -6 -b as-afrinic

bgpq3 is a good utility for building prefix lists from the IRR sources.  I
myself use bgpq3 to build prefix filters for Asteroid IXPs and use the RADB
database to query it.  RADB does server-side expansion of as-sets which
makes the queries nice and fast, and thanks to the mirroring it is a single
resource which can be queried for global results.

However, the default command line as per above caused me to add some IRR
sources which contained some 'junk' data allowing misconfigured
announcements to reach the exchange route-servers.  I added the field:

-S RIPE,APNIC,AFRINIC,ARIN,JPIRR,NTTCOM,RADB,ALTDB,BELL,LEVEL3,RGNET,TC

.. after some experimentation to exclude those sources which seems to have
improved things significantly.

I still do not like that we have imported non RIR originated databases to
our queries as I want there to be a link through from prefix assignment, to
prefix holder, to announcement that I can verify.  Hence whilst I ask
operators to please register their announced prefixes in Afrinic's database,
please also create RPKI ROAs for your prefixes.  We are testing methodology
to accept/reject prefixes based on ROAs when RPKI hints exist in addition to
generating prefix-lists from IRR.  I hope to have some conversations about
how this is going at AfPIF next week.

Kind wishes,
Andy

--
Andy Davidson            Asteroid International BV
https://www.asteroidhq.com    @asteroidhq   @andyd