[afnog] IPv6 transition mechanism used by ISP

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Dec 3 10:22:34 UTC 2018

On 3/Dec/18 11:42, Andrew Alston wrote:

> We’re not on there because as of yet – we’ve been dual stacking – so
> we aren’t using transition mechanisms – and we’re still evaluating
> which mechanism we will end up with.
>

> At the moment it is leaning towards ds-lite though because of
> compatibility with CPE’s – but we’re still testing on the V6 only
> stuff – I suspect to have a lot more to say about this in the next 2
> weeks though

NAT64/DNS64/464XLAT makes the most sense to us because it's progress
toward native IPv6. As more and more users start using it for IPv6
connectivity, and as more server-side resources move to IPv6, the IPv4
threads just fall away and the user is left with no other migrations to
make.

Other transition mechanisms would still require a 2nd migration after
IPv4 is well and truly dead (not literally, of course, just mostly).

In Africa, because we still have a bit of IPv4, we should use the time
between now and then to ensure that when we can no longer issue IPv4 to
our customers, the CPE underworld has properly implemented 464XLAT.