Re: DNS

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 09:31:19PM +0300, ksemat at eahd.or.ug wrote:
> Recursion has been on until this morning when I turned it off this was
> because most of the zones for whom I am primary are using my IP
> so I was told that the name server may be timing out because it can not
> reverse resolve those IPs. So it keeps timing out on queries concerning
> them and thus the rest suffers too. So I turned off recursive queries.
> Interestingly this action seemed to make it live slightly longer though it
> still dies but after some time of timing out I sometimes query it and it
> responds.

Then you still need to find out why it is dying.

Suggestion: after restarting bind, find out its process id then in a
separate window run:

# strace -p <pid>

This will show you all the syscalls it makes. When it dies, capture the last
screenful of output and post it here.

What _exact_ version of BIND are you running?

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org
To send a requet to majordomo, e-mail majordomo at afnog.org and put

This list is mantained by owner-afnog at afnog.org