Re: DNS

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 01:19:24PM +0300, ksemat at wawa.eahd.or.ug wrote:
> Actually you got me I am running a hidden secondary for
> 132.129.216.in-addr.arpa But why don't you recommend it I thought It would
> save my name server the troublee of having to always fetch the info about
> its zone from the primary whenever it expires from its cache.

This is true (although you trade it for the overhead of doing periodic zone
checks, and so I think the gain is small if any. By the same reasoning, why
don't you set yourself up as secondary for afnog.org, or cnn.com?)

The problem is that if your upstream _changes_ the delegation to a different
set of nameservers, you won't know about it. Your secondary will hold stale
data for a while, and eventually the zone will expire. The first you'll know
is when your DNS breaks unexpectedly.

Changing delegation is perhaps more frequent than you'd expect; for example,
if they get bought out by a larger ISP who wants to take over management of
the reverse DNS.

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org