Re: LINUX/Windows 98 link

Hello Ranti,

What you need is the Linux Loader called - loadlin.exe. It allows you boot
Linux from DOS. It is on the RH CD under the dostools directory I presume.

You will have to edit the file /etc/fstab to change all instances of
/dev/hdax (where x=1,2 ..5) to /dev/hdcx. Since it will now be your
Secondary master.

Next, you will copy the active kernel to the drive C of your computer.
The kernel should be  /boot/vmlinuz or /boot/vmlinux. If you have
recompiled the kernel, it will be /vmlinuz or /vmlinux.

To copy, you will need to mount your Windows dis from linux. The command
is:

mount -t msdos /dev/hdc1 /mnt  YOu will then execute:
cp /boot/vmlinuz /mnt

or whichever file you want to copy. remeber to "umount /mnt" when done.

The loadlin invocation will be something like
c:\loadlin.exe c:\vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc1 ro

There is a sample file called linux.bat on the RedHat CD - it has an
example of how loadlin can be invoked. You can write a batch file that
will prompt you whether to load linux or Windows - but I am not good with
DOS batch files. I am sure others will pick up from here

Good luck and lets know how it goes.

Cheers!

Sunday A. Folayan
General Data Engineering Services Ltd
18b, Oshin Rd, Kongi Bodija Ibadan, Nigeria
 Snail: Box 29460 Secretariat, Ibadan Nigeria
 Email:	sfolayan at skannet.com.ng
 Voice:	+234-2-8105156	  Data: +234-2-8105067
   Fax: +234-2-8106268	US Fax: 1-415-449-3514