Re: PPTP over Ethernet

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 08:07:30PM +0300, ksemat at wawa.eahd.or.ug wrote:
> I would like to know whether it is possible to run PPTP over ethernet and
> how to actually get this working either with Linux or Freebsd with a linux
> vpn concetrator on the other end of the link. I have seen links about
> PPPoE but none about PPTP over ethernet using a linux/freebsd box as a
> client.

I think PPTP (certainly its newer cousin, L2TP) run over IP, not over
ethernet as such. Except in as much as IP runs over ethernet, of course.

I found this: http://poptop.lineo.com/
Actually it's in FreeBSD under /usr/ports/net/poptop, but in the Makefile
it says (on a FreeBSD-4.4 box anyway)
 "This port is deprecated in favor of ports/net/mpd-netgraph's pptp
  functionality"

So there you go; 'man ng_pptpgre' isn't very helpful, but have a look at
/usr/ports/net/mpd-netgraph
and see if you can make it do what you need. pkg-descr attached below.

Cheers,

Brian.
Mpd is a netgraph(4) based implementation of the multi-link PPP
protocol for FreeBSD.  It is designed to be both fast and flexible.
It handles configuration and negotiation in user land, while routing
all data packets strictly in the kernel.  It supports several of
the numerous PPP sub-protocols and extensions, such as:

      Multi-link PPP capability
      PAP, CHAP, and MS-CHAP authentication
      PPP compression and encryption
      Point-to-Point Tunnelling Protocol (PPTP)

Mpd also includes many additional features:

      Dial-on-demand with idle timeout
      Multiple active connections running simultaneously
      Dynamic demand based link management (also known as `rubber bandwidth'')
      Powerful chat scripting language for asynchronous serial ports
      Pre-tested chat scripts for automatic configuration of several
        common modems and ISDN terminal adapters
      Clean device-type independent design
      Comprehensive logging

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org