Re: Migrating from Sendmail to Exim

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 12:15:00PM +0000, Godfred Ofori-Som wrote:
> I am trying to migrate from sendmail to exim and wanted to know what will
> happen to mails in sendmail queue. Would exim automatically send them or i
> have to do some configuration.
> How will i configure exim to use sendmail's queue directory.

You can't. What you have to do is run sendmail from time to time with the
'-q' flag until it finishes delivering all the mails from its queue (this
may take several days if some of the remote hosts are down). Meanwhile, the
exim process will receive all incoming mail and store it in exim's own queue
directory, in its own format.

If you are going to replace /usr/sbin/sendmail with a symlink to exim, then
make sure you keep the old sendmail binary around (e.g. rename it to
/usr/sbin/sendmail.old) so you can run
     /usr/sbin/sendmail.old -q
from time to time.

On a FreeBSD box, you can just run '/usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail -q' since
that's where the actual sendmail program lives.

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org