Re: bsdi - redhat 7.3

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 07:38:35PM +0300, Lucas Odemba wrote:
> would you be knowing how to convert bsdi (/etc/passwd) password file for
> use with linux redhat 7.3 in a case whereby the bsdi was not using the
> shadow password (/etc/shadow) while the redhat is supposed to ?

The problem is not /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow, the problem is the password
encryption in use.

An entry which looks like $1$...$..... is an MD5 encrypted password. I don't
know if RedHat supports these.

If it doesn't contain any $'s then it's probably a regular Unix crypt()
password and you should just be able to copy it across.

You can use Perl or awk to reformat the different "columns" separated by the
':' separator to match whatever you need on the RedHat box.

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org