Re: bsdi - redhat 7.3

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Brian Candler wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 07:38:35PM +0300, Lucas Odemba wrote:
<snip>
> An entry which looks like $1$...$..... is an MD5 encrypted password. I don't
> know if RedHat supports these.

How to enable MD5 passwords:
----------------------------

You need to add the option "md5" to the "password" rules in the PAM
config files. You can find the config files in /etc/pam.d.

For example, you need to change the following lines in /etc/pam.d/passwd:

password required       /lib/security/pam_pwcheck.so   \
		     nullok
password required       /lib/security/pam_unix.so      \
                     nullok use_first_pass use_authtok

to:

password required       /lib/security/pam_pwcheck.so   \
		     nullok md5
password required       /lib/security/pam_unix.so      \
                     nullok md5 use_first_pass use_authtok

This is necessary for every program which is able to change the
user's password. At the moment these are at least: /etc/pam.d/login,
/etc/pam.d/passwd, /etc/pam.d/sshd and /etc/pam.d/rlogin.

If you use NIS, you need to replace /usr/bin/yppasswd with a
link to /usr/bin/passwd:
# cd /usr/bin
# mv yppasswd yppasswd.old
# ln -sf passwd yppasswd

The password will be converted into an MD5 one after the next
password change.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org