RE: Configuring Radius server with a cisco router

Cistron has, like you say, a users file with a sample configuration. I don't
run it anymore, but IIRC, you can use the "steve" sample section to setup
users. It should be the first of the many available examples. Other
attributes you may want to use when adding users include:

Service-Type = Framed-User
Framed-Protocol = PPP
Framed-MTU = 1500
Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobson-TCP-IP
Framed-Filter-Id = 1

Of course, Framed-Filter-Id is only useful if you are providing specific
services to specific dial-up users. The other attributes are pretty
standard.

Using RADIUS with Cisco is a breeze. To do this, enter the following
commands into your Cisco router:

!
aaa authentication ppp default if-needed group radius
aaa authorization network default group radius if-authenticated
aaa accounting network default start-stop group radius

!
radius-server host x.x.x.x auth-port 1812 acct-port 1813 key secret
radius-server retransmit 3
radius-server authorization permit missing Service-Type

x.x.x.x = the IP address of your RADIUS server
secret  = the shared secret between your Cisco router and your RADIUS server

Also, you can specify more than one RADIUS server host in your Cisco config,
if you have a back-up RADIUS server available. You will have to double check
what RADIUS ports you have configured on your Cistron. I have used the new
ones here. The old ones are 1645 for authentication and 1646 for accounting.

Good luck.

Mark Tinka
Network Engineer
Africa Online Uganda