Re: Authentication against mysql

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 12:51:08PM +0300, Patrick J Okui wrote:
> Speaking of which, I have been playing with this a bit, and the
> authmysqlrc has support for sending an e-mail to a user who has exceeded
> his/her quota.
>
> My question is, is there a way of doing this per domain hosted instead
> of per user - or am I left with the option of using the FreeBSD quota
> facilites (e.g giving  at  domain a userid... and then editing quota.users
> etc..then sending an e-mail (somehow)..)

The latter - or you could use a filesystem group quota, which is maybe more
appropriate.

If exim is unable to deliver because the filesystem quota is exceeded, exim
will handle this for you: you may need to put something in the configuration
to ensure that quota errors cause immediate bounces rather than deferrals,
e.g.

begin retry

*                      quota
*                      *           INITIAL_RETRIES G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,6h

otherwise the inbound mails will sit in /var/spool/exim/input waiting for
the mailbox to go under-quota again.

I note that the configs at the URL you gave don't use any built-in quota
mechanisms, so they will rely on filesystem quotas (or have none)

There are a couple of non-filesystem quota mechanisms you can use:
- exim's appendfile transport can enforce quotas
- you can use courier's deliverquota program as the local delivery agent
and in those cases you can also send a warning message when the mailbox is
getting close to full, say 90%.

However both those work at the single mailbox level, so if you have a group
of mailboxes which you want to impose an overall quota on, you are back to
filesystem quotas anyway.

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org