Re: secondaries (was: Domain of sender address does not exist)

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 17:13:32 +0200  "Alamicha Chapuma" wrote:
>  I was testing africaleaf.com
> Primary NS omega.eomw.net 62.192.133.162
> Secondary NS ruo.leland-mw.org 62.192.133.1
> ruo is my upstream providers NS and they are refusing(or failing) to put in
> a slave configuration for the africaleaf.com and other domains.
> As a result of this there is a non-authoritative response from
> 'ruo.leland-mw.org' which is set as the secondary NS for africaleaf.com.

I don't know the history of this domain, but generally your upstream
is not *required* to run secondary nameservers for your zones.
If they do, it's because of business reasons (part of the service
you contracted and pay for), or because of gentleman's agreement
(which is the typical case and preferred).

However, you can't *force* them to do this and it's a no-no
to list them as secondary at the domain registries w/o
getting their permission first.

You can probably find someone else to run secondary for you
by asking this list. Perhaps you can trade (he runs secondary
for your domains, you run secondary for his domains).
I know readers on this list that use an elaborate scheme with
PGP-signed messages to automatically add zones to the remote
DNS server (Hi alan, randy!).

Running your secondaries this way has the additional advantage
that your DNS gets a lot more robust. Currently, if your upstream
has problems, both primary and secondary are offline and the domain
ceases to exist. Proper secondary selection avoids this.
RFC2182 has a few words to say about this.

I'm not accusing you that you did list them without permission,
but I kind-of sense that that is what happened.
Perhaps the pointers above will help.

Geert Jan

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org