Re: [afnog]FreeBSD problem interface again!!!

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 07:26:03PM +0200, antonio at nambu.uem.mz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have solved the problem with the watchdog timeout, it was due to the
> interrupt 12 which was being given to the nic, as soon as I plugged in a PS/2
> mouse the problem was solved (weird but true). Now I have another strange
> thing happening, the interface connected to the internet which is through a
> cable modem keeps stopping the traffic flow after every 2 or 3 minutes but if I
> restart the net with a /etc/netstart command it starts working again but soon
> stops again. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

It's almost certainly the same problem. IRQ12 is reserved for the PS/2
mouse; don't try to re-use it.

Safe interrupts are generally IRQ10 or IRQ11; next safe ones are IRQ5 and
IRQ9 (sometimes used for soundcards or COM3/COM4 or internal modems). If you
*disable* the parallel port in the BIOS then you can use IRQ7. Don't use
IRQ3 or IRQ4 unless COM2 or COM1 respectively have been disabled in the
BIOS. If you disable the second IDE controller you can probably use IRQ14.
None of the others are safe.

The fact that the "timeout" problem went away probably means that mouse
interrupts are occuring when the software expects network interrupts. But of
course, data may well not be there.

Regards,

Brian.
This is the Africa Network Operators' Group(AfNOG)
technical discussion list.
The AfNOG website is: <http://www.afnog.org>