Re: [afnog] [Mailer-Daemon at mantse.gh.com: Maildeliveryfailed:returning message to sender]

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 06:38:58PM -0000, Ayitey Bulley wrote:
> > # fstyp -v /dev/.... | head -20
> > and look for "nbfree" (whole 8K blocks), "nffree" (fragments), and
> "nifree"
> > (inodes)
> >
> > My guess is that nbfree is zero, which means you will be unable to create
> > any files larger than 8K. That's a problem with Maildir under Solaris UFS:
> > you tend to keep creating and deleting lots of small files, so your 8K
> > blocks get fragmented and you have no whole ones left.
>
> Nope, "nbfree" was not zero
> nbfree  6126    ndir    46572   nifree  1683549 nffree  9310679

That is very low though (only 6126 x 8K = only 48MB of free space, on a 34GB
volume!) Perhaps it hit zero, then a few people POP'd their mail and it went
back up again. This would give you an intermittent problem.

In any case, perhaps you should run from cron every 10 mins:

fstyp -v /dev/... | grep nbfree >>/tmp/nbfree.log

and track it over time.

> Thanks, I hope this resolves my problem for a while. I guess I am going to
> look into delivering mail on multiple disks i.e. /home, /home1 etc etc.

Good plan, in particular because this gives you extra I/O bandwidth as well
- one process can be reading/writing disk 1 while another is writing disk 2.

Cheers,

Brian.
This is the Africa Network Operators' Group(AfNOG)
technical discussion list.
The AfNOG website is: <http://www.afnog.org>